Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Axis of Evil* in the Stock Pot

                                            *Peppers, tomatoes, and onions

A mom is supposed to feed her child. Breast vs bottle, conventional vs organic...no matter what our preferences, we need to supply sustenance and nutrition to our offspring. I'm lucky, because my kiddo likes most foods, or at least the ones I typically buy and prepare. Around here, we eat healthy foods for the most part, but there are some things that the kiddo just won't touch--peppers and tomatoes in particular--unless I sneak them into her food. There are entire cookbooks dedicated to the art of sneaking veggies into foods, but I haven't checked them out since the only real bones of contention are the aforementioned peppers and tomatoes, and obvious onions. The onions aren't too much of a concern, because I can only handle them in very small amounts, anyway. I have to laugh, though, because yesterday the kiddo was enthusiastically noshing on some "doctored" black bean soup and corn bread. She quizzed me on the ingredients, and I have to confess that I lied. Well, it was a lie of omission. I neglected to tell her about the sauteed peppers and onions that were pureed and then made their way into both the soup and the cornbread. I explained that the soup was a funky color because I had added a jar of salsa, and any specks in the cornbread were from the mango that I pureed and added to it. Clearly, her questioning indicates that she is starting to become suspicious of my cooking, but she hasn't caught me at pepper dropping yet. The kiddo loves salsa, so I'm not sure why she doesn't like either peppers or tomatoes. I guess that she just hasn't realized yet that she really does like them. I mean, I can definitely taste the peppers in the soup, so if she likes the soup, she must also like the peppers. Out of sight, out of mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment