Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Grapes of Wrap


There is so much information out there about making healthy food choices that it's heartbreaking to see a child loading up on crap. I went to the kiddo's school to have lunch with her last week, and I was dismayed to see that her friend was eating Lunchables, Doritos, and a packaged sweet roll for her lunch, washed down with a bottle of water (as if that magically washed away the crap). Seeing that erased some of the doubts plaguing me about what I feed my kiddo. Sure, we enjoy sweets and salties once in a while, but I try not to indulge too much...which leads me to my latest strategy: grape rationing.

The kiddo loves fruit. She has her favorites, but I can't think of any fruit she actually dislikes. That is great, except that she would be a total fruitarian if I let her. Yesterday, she had the day off and we were at the supermarket, and she was begging for grapes. OK, I have a child who begs for grapes instead of neon-colored sugar bombs. Fantastic!! "Hmmm..." I thought, "I would like some grapes, too..." So I got a big bag. And later almost gasped at the big price. A tactical error on my part, it was too late to put the grapes back, nor would it have been OK to dump out half the bag. So, we got the grapes, but I decided that they were going to last the entire week. Before you accuse me of denying my child vital fruit nutrients, rest assured that we have apples, oranges, and mangoes, too. Not to mention a plethora of vegetables. We're good.

But, back to the crazy-expensive grapes. It is so easy to nosh through a whole bag (I'm speaking from experience here), but I decided to ration our stash to make it last through Friday--eight small containers full of green grape goodness. Why eight? Because I want some grapes, too! I will put my name on them if I have to!


No comments:

Post a Comment