Sunday, March 9, 2014

Wash Your Hands!





As I've mentioned before, I like to gently encourage appropriate behavior, rather than shout out orders like a drill sergeant (although I can do the drill sergeant thing quite effectively, thank you very much). My kiddo is used to this, and almost always responds the way I want her to. Today, however, I had to use this technique on her friend...

The friend in question was visiting and had to use the bathroom. I heard a flush, and then exactly one second later, I heard a hand on the bathroom door! 

It's just not possible to wash one's hands that quickly, or even use hand sanitizer. I could just see the microbes swirling around on everything between the bathroom door and the door to the outside.  I had to decide what was more important, being a cool, laid back mom or household sanitation.

OK, there was zero deliberation. I called out, "You are going to wash your hands, right?" and received a disgruntled "yeah" in response. One swipe of the doorknob with disinfectant, and everything was all right. 

Wash your hands, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment