Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Sure, You Can Have a Phone.....


Kids and cell phones...when is a kid ready for one? Ask my kiddo, who has seen someone go on YouTube to bring up "Gangnam Style" on their phone, or play "Angry Birds" and she will tell you that she needs a phone right now.

I don't have a smart phone, but my kiddo knows that I have her friends' parents' numbers magically stored away in mine and at the ready in case I want to call them to set up a play date. I can also text on my phone, which serves the same purpose and lets her see cute pix sometimes. So, in the kiddo's mind, she needs a phone. 

Ummm...no. 

Even friends of mine who have older kids complain that their kids are on their phones too much instead of interacting with the family. One friend's teenage son took 30 minutes away from his phone in order to drive a short stretch of a family road trip, then had to take even longer to "catch up on his correspondence".

While some kids--old enough to be responsible with a phone but not yet old enough to drive--may need phones to call mom or dad for a ride, a 7-year-old just doesn't. 

The kiddo's BFF sees her older sisters on their phones and asks when she is going to get one...the answer? Her mom will get her a phone when I get one for my kiddo. 

(Oh, kids, moms always get the last laugh!)

No comments:

Post a Comment