Sunday, July 7, 2013

Would You Like a Side of Snark To Go With Your 'Tude?


As moms, we want to protect our kiddos from all kinds of dangers, injustices and disappointments while encouraging them to embrace their uniqueness and discover their true identities. We realize that, as they get older, we need to do less of this work for them and prompt them to do it themselves. We hope that we have taught them well. And then, sometimes, we must say "screw it" and go all mama bear on bullies who don't play fair.

Mean Mommy H says: "At Mc D's in line when 2 boys, who were a couple (ages 17 to 20?) were making comments about C's shorts and boots...as they walked away they said " I'm gonna go get an ugly cowboy hat and some cut up some daisy dukes" in a smart snotty way referring to C's outfit...so I called them out on it with a few choice words". H's daughter is 14 and exploring her personal style, but gosh, she's still at an age when snide comments from strangers can sting. I was quite excited to hear the "choice words" H had for those two young men: "I said "real f-ing cute"...and then gave them the "mom eye". Bullies, they were just mean bullies and no one messes with my babies", she stated. 

Now, C is pretty and blond and thin, and quite confident, but as I said, she is 14 years old. What are those two "gentlemen" going to do next? Steal french fries from a 5-year old?  Push an elderly man out of their way?

I'm wondering what the guys' moms would think about their comments. Whatever happened to "Pick on someone your own size" or "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" or "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"? And the part about them being a couple? It's unlikely that they have never been on the receiving end of negative comments, don't you think? 

A confession: I was expecting H's comments to be a bit stronger. I say this because I know that she is devoted to her kids, and I was thinking of something more along the lines of "What, did you leave your manners at home?" or "You know, we can hear you. We know you're jerks. You can stop now." or even "Go be an a$$h013 somewhere else."

Of course, it's one of those situations where it's easy to come up with something clever to say when you are not the one on the spot. If I were in that situation, I probably wouldn't think of anything good to say until I was ruminating on it later. However, I would still stand up for my kiddo, because no one messes with my baby, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment