Thursday, September 20, 2012

Oh, Yum, Fresh Chemicals

Chemical Science Experience Clip Art

The kiddo got a coupon for a free treat from a local business. She didn't know what it was, but she was excited to try it. (Maybe other kiddos in her class told her how sweet and "fruity" this type of treat is...?) I'm not naming the business, and I'm not criticizing those parents who let their children partake, but I, personally am not a fan of this product. The ingredient list probably reads something like this: "high fructose corn syrup, sugar, corn syrup, corn syrup solids, artificial fruit-favored chemicals, artificial colors, chemical preservatives, random and assorted crap".

It would have been so easy to just "lose" the coupon, but the kiddo had her heart set on getting a treat. So I gave in, on a couple of conditions: (1) she had to accompany me on errands without whining before we could redeem the coupon, and (2) she couldn't have it all in one day; she could have half that day and half the following day. She agreed, so off we went.

She chose the flavor she wanted, then decided to mix flavors. I was sure that the anticipation would be better than the end result, but no, I was wrong. The kiddo offered me a taste (she gets points for generosity), but it was so sweet and artificial I couldn't stomach it. I decided that it was enough to last for three days instead of the two days we had agreed upon. Surprisingly, that decision didn't elicit an argument.

If we were face to face, you might say "Oh, geez, let the kid have a treat!".  I've gotten looks and even a sneer in the grocery store for nixing unnatural products like neon green "juice", so bring it on. But you know what? She gets enough treats. They have treats in school, she is sometimes allowed to buy ice cream at school. I like goodies myself so we have desserts at home once in a while (OK, desserts I make myself that are crap-free). The kiddo loves fresh fruit, so fresh berries or a watermelon are a treat for her. Why should I create and feed a sugar addiction? Don't even get me started on all the artificial stuff.

So, no, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak, but a huge sugar rush and chemical overload? No way.

No comments:

Post a Comment