Sunday, May 19, 2013

Are YOU Ticklish?


My kiddo is ticklish. She will say coyly to me "You can tickle me if you want to!", fully expecting that I will. I usually oblige, since her giggles are some of the happiest sounds on earth. I've noticed, too, that the kiddo and her friends like to tickle one another, which is usually accompanied by the words "tickle, tickle, tickle!". In the relatively few cases where a friend of hers wasn't interested in being tickled, the kiddo backed down immediately (or in one case, after being pushed away). However, at home, she likes to tickle me, and doesn't always back down when I say no.

You see, I don't like to be tickled. In my opinion, it's akin to torture. Heck, go ahead and water board me, it would be the same thing. But when I say "No", "Please don't" or "STOP IT", I really feel like I'm ruining the kiddo's fun. But, to quote Gretchen Rubin, author of the blog and book The Happiness Project, “Just because something is fun for other people doesn’t mean it’s fun for me, and vice versa.” I seem to be hyper-sensitive: a loose hair or string, spider webs, a persistent breeze on my skin all irritate me and make me unhappy.

So, while the kiddo is always disappointed when I don't want to be tickled, it doesn't last long because she reverts back to begging me to tickle her, and I don't have to tolerate something I find unpleasant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment