Moms, whether you are single or not, this is a wake-up call. As a Mean Mommy, you must:
- Monitor your kids' activities and be aware of who has access to them. Play date at Sally's house? Who else will be there? (I need to update my "More Dealbreakers" list)
- Have the uncomfortable conversations with your kids (age appropriate, of course)--what is a stranger, what is inappropriate touching--all those subjects that make you queasy. Suck it up.
- Ask the hard questions, to your kids, and to yourself. And friends, relatives, acquaintances, the Internet...How well do you really know John Doe? What does Google have to say about him?
- Say "No" when you are not comfortable with a situation. Don't just try to appease your kids.
- Be willing to appear strict, unreasonable, rude, standoffish, unfriendly, mean, vulgar, unwelcoming, flaky, crazy, suspicious, paranoid, over-protective, or antisocial when it comes to protecting your kids.