Sunday, November 25, 2012

More Deal Breakers


My previous post about deal breakers got me thinking; up until now, I had thought about deal breakers in terms of people outside our family, especially people who might invite the kiddo over to play with their kids. I'm a worrywart, but I think that there are so many things to worry about when it comes to our kids that we should have the right to eliminate some of them from the equation. For example, when sending your child off to play at someone's house, you expect some level of safety and cleanliness, right? Thus, big, gaping holes in the floor, rats, roaches, etc, would be deal breakers.

My big deal breakers:
  • Guns in the house. Kids like to show off, and they are careless. Tragedy waiting to happen.
  • Smoking in the house. I don't want my kiddo exposed to that crap. And I don't want her to think it is normal.
  • Easy access to alcohol and drugs. Duh.
  • Lack of supervision. I don't always trust my own kiddo. If I don't even know yours...
  • Potentially dangerous pet. Oh, your python doesn't stay in his cage?  Adios.
After thinking about it for a while, I have to add:
  • Letting the kids just watch TV. The idea behind a play date is to play.
  • Tons of junk food. A treat is fine (OK, not really, but I won't argue too much on that one), but unlimited crap to eat and drink is a no-no. 
  • Parents/caretakers who cuss. Keep it clean, please and thank you.
  • Mean kids. I'm not sending my kiddo to your house so your kids can be mean to her.
Too much?  Deal with it. Not enough? Give me your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment