Thursday, October 4, 2012

Little girl, big cough

The kiddo has been coughing a lot lately. She was actually sick for not even a whole day--feverish, lethargic--but by the end of that day she was asking to go out and play. The cough, however, has lingered, showing up at inconvenient times (middle of the night, waking her up) and making her whole body shake. Since she didn't act sick and wanted to go to school, I sent her. Today, though, marked almost two weeks of the coughing, so I finally took her to the doctor. She is now on antibiotics and oral steroids.

Was I too mean, expecting her to tough it out? If her fever and lethargy had lasted, I certainly would have acted sooner, but I was concerned about her catching something else in the doctor's waiting room and really getting sick. And I definitely don't want to be one of those moms who demands antibiotics for their child when the problem is viral and antibiotics won't help. (If any of my readers do that, stop it! It only makes antibiotics ineffective because the bacteria get used to them and learn how to beat them.) So now I'm having a bit of "mommy guilt" for letting the coughing go for so long. But at least she is agreeable to taking her medicine (it must be flavored), otherwise I'd have to tackle her and make her take it (and end up feeling guilty about that).

*cough*  *cough*  Great. It's my turn. Guess I'm gonna tough it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment