Saturday, November 10, 2012

My New BFF?!

Heading to church in the morning, and there's a good chance that I will run into a man who is very unlikeable, who is trying to be my BFF. I'm used to attracting weirdos; in my previous post I mentioned some stalkers, and both my grandmother and cousin (the one who unfriended me on FB) attracted some unsavory types back in the day. I'm not worried that this "gentleman" wants to marry me, but I'm not certain why he wants to be my friend so badly.

You may wonder why I am opposed to forming a friendship with a 60-something man; let me tell you, age has nothing to do with it. The fact that he heckles speakers in church, has sexually harassed people, and said cruel, antagonistic things about a person I very much like and admire has everything to do with it. From what I've seen of him, he's just not nice. The kiddo and a buddy both had a strong reaction when this man tried to relate to them in a jovial, avuncular way: they hissed and snarled at him. I'm not joking.

As unpleasant as he can be, he does have a nice wife and I know that he has children; clearly, someone is able to overlook his faults and see his good qualities. And I'm sure he must have some, because everybody has some. My question is, is it mean of me to rebuff his friendship overtures based on his previous behavior? Should I make the kiddo be polite to him? I have put a stop to the snarling, so that is a start...

No comments:

Post a Comment